In the spirit of Easter, check out the following 3 benefits of eating eggs! Did you know?
- Choline, found in egg yolks, actually helps prevent accumulation of cholesterol & fat in the liver.
- Eggs contain lutein and zeaxanthin, nutrients that are great for eye health.
- The high sulfur content of eggs promotes healthy hair and nails.
If you’re coloring eggs this weekend for the holiday, make sure to save a couple to eat yourself too! Eggs are a higher quality protein source in comparison to milk, beef, whey and soy and have been said to support improved memory and thought. ☺ Very cool. (Source: The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth, Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS)
Our mom always requests these healthy deviled eggs at our family get togethers. It’s one of our favorite go-to dishes for any event or even just to keep around as a quick snack. Traditional deviled eggs are loaded with mayonnaise ~ not so great. Skip the mayo and swap it with healthy hummus and Greek yogurt instead with our healthy recipe!
Makes 6 servings
- 12 hardboiled eggs (save the yolks from 2 eggs)
- 2 hardboiled egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of your favorite hummus
- 1/4 dill relish (not the sweet kind!)
- 1 tbs yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut each egg in half and remove the yolks from the hardboiled eggs, and place 2 of them in a small bowl. Mash them up and add the remaining ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined. Spoon mixture into each egg and enjoy!