Is anyone else completely crazy about everything pumpkin right now?!
We LOVE pumpkin. Not only is it the best fall food ever, but it’s so good for you!
Here are 3 benefits of eating pumpkin:
- 1 cup of pureed pumpkin contains more than 200% of your recommended daily amount of vitamin A, which aids vision.
- Pumpkin can help aid in weight loss – 1 cup of pumpkin contains 3 grams of fiber and only 50 calories, making pumpkin a great food to help you feel full for longer on fewer calories.
- Pumpkin can help reduce the risk of cancer. Pumpkin (like their other orange comrades – sweet potato, carrot, butternut squash) contain antioxidant beta-carotene, which may play a role in cancer prevention, according to the National Cancer Institute.
So if that’s not enough to make you love pumpkin I don’t know what will!
Try this amazingly healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars:
Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars
- 2 cups oat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar or raw cane sugar
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs pumpkin spices
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg and sugar then add pumpkin, oil almond milk and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients (except the chocolate chips), add to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips (save a few to sprinkle on top) and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Fat: 8 g
Carbs: 53 g
Protein: 7 g