Growing up, we would go to TGIFriday’s or Applebee’s at least once per week. Mozzarella sticks were ALWAYS ordered first. Sara liked to dip them in marinara sauce, I preferred the heavy ranch. 😉
Anyway, that’s obviously not healthy, especially not for kids! Turns out you can just make your own and control what goes in them, the perfect idea for Superbowl Sunday or your kids’ weekend sleepovers.
This recipe is just as good as the oozy-gooey kind you can eat at a restaurant, but better for you. Baked instead of fried, you’ll save a few hundred calories by avoiding all that extra grease!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 part-skim string cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- dash of salt
- Slice string cheese in half and place in the freezer for 20 minutes or until frozen.
- Once frozen, remove from freezer, preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, beat egg well and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and salt.
- One by one, dip frozen string cheese into your egg, then dip in your breadcrumb mixture.
- Place on prepared pan and bake for 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip each mozzarella stick over.
- Return to oven for an additional 2-3 minutes or until mozzarella sticks are golden.
Servings: 6 (2 mozzarella sticks per serving)
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 8 g
Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 9 g