The star in the show for the next recipe in the Healthy Holiday Recipes series…
Who else loves coconut?
I actually used to despise it when I was little, but as I got older it really grew on me. Now I love it all…
Coconut milk, coconut cream, coconut oil, shredded coconut, coconut water – the possibilities are endless.
One of our all time favorite ways to get in our healthy fats is by enjoying some coconut!
Liz and I love putting shredded coconut on top of our smoothies, using coconut milk in our coffee instead of cream or sautéing our veggies in coconut oil to name a few options.
Here are 3 Benefits of Eating Coconut and Coconut Oil (milk included!):
1) 1/2 cup of shredded coconut has almost 4 grams of fiber, 142 grams of potassium, less than 3 grams of sugar and 13 grams of the most heart healthy fat in the world.
2) The fats in coconut are mainly medium chain triglycerides, which make them easier to metabolize and therefore they are preferentially used for energy rather than stored as fat.
3) Fifty perfect of the fat in coconut is a particular fat called lauric acid, an antiviral and antibacterial which boosts the immune system.
Coconut can be used in so many ways, and there are a host of beauty applications of this incredible fruit as well (makeup remover, moisturizer, hair conditioner, etc). Google search it to learn even more 🙂
We go totally coo coo for coconuts, especially these Coconut Snowballs – such a fun healthy holiday recipe you can share with your whole family.
Store ’em in the fridge for up to 1 week for an easy, healthy snack.
An easy, gluten-free & vegan dessert!
- 2 cups walnuts
- 8-10 pitted dates
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- optional: 1 scoop protein powder
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Place all ingredients (except coconut) in a food processor and blend until thick dough forms.
- Form 1″ balls and roll in shredded coconut.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.