Did you know that bruschetta isn’t always just the traditional tomato mix that you’re probably thinking of right now?
I definitely didn’t. I am a bruschetta lover at heart and when I ordered “bruschetta” at a local italian restaurant last week I was quite surprised when it showed up at my table and it wasn’t the tomato & herb mix I was expecting…
Instead, it was a totally different take on bruschetta – freshly toasted sourdough bread with goat cheese, roasted cauliflower and arugula. Thinking about it makes my mouth water a little bit because it was so good!
I had to go home and try to make my own creative bruschetta recipe and let me tell you it was deeeeeelicious! Organic yellow zucchini and red bell pepper sauteed in olive oil with chopped garlic topped with fresh arugula. YUM!
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Roasted Zucchini, Red Pepper & Arugula Bruschetta
- 1 yellow or green zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 slices sourdough, toasted
- handful of arugula
- In a cast iron pan or skillet, cook zucchini, bell pepper, and garlic in oil golden brown.
- Add balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon mixture on top of toasted bread.
- Top with fresh arugula.
Fat: 3.5 g
Carbs: 50 g
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 8 g