Alright, I’m letting the cat outta the bag – I’ve gone completely gluten-free!
Yep, that’s right – I made the big decision to let go of gluten and all it’s little friends (bread, wheat, rye, barley, oats*, etc).
*side note: not all oats contain gluten, you just have to make sure you find a brand without it 🙂
So, I’ve been getting a little creative finding new ways to make healthier treats without gluten ingredients.
And lemme tell ya – it’s been hard. I’ve definitely had more failures than successes, but I’m learning new tricks in the kitchen that I can’t wait to share with you all fall & winter long.
Now, you might be wondering why I made the switch to a gluten-free, plant-based diet…
The answer is pretty simple – I was noticing signs and symptoms of gluten-intolerance (more on this later since I’m going in to get an allergy blood test next week).
Hopefully you enjoy this fun gluten-free sugar cookie recipe that makes the perfect halloween treat for your little ones and friends alike!
Gluten-Free Monster Cookies
A healthier alternative to the traditional sugar cookie, using only a handful of ingredients.
Prep Time: 10 mins | Bake Time: 15 mins | Total Time: A few hours (to allow for cooling)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sweetener that measures like sugar (stevia, raw cane sugar, coconut sugar etc)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- food coloring
- “eyeball” sprinkles
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and sugar together.
- Add in vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Slowly add in flour until well combined and dough is thick (you may need a little more or less flour depending on what kind you use), then separate into three equal parts.
- Place each piece of dough in separate bowls and mix in food colorings of choice until thoroughly combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll teaspoon sized balls then flatten and place on your prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden, then quickly remove cookies from the oven and press eyeball sprinkles on top.