Today is one of our absolute favorite holiday recipes ~ Sugar Cookies! Every year as a family, we would all gather around the table to decorate our mom’s homemade sugar cookies. We decided to take our family recipe and modify it to decrease the sugar and butter content so you can enjoy this treat completely guilt-free.
Skinny Sugar Cookies
Prep Time: 40 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Total Time: 50 min
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup baking stevia*
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
*feel free to reduce the amount of stevia to 1/2 cup and increase sugar content to 1/2 cup for those who aren’t used to sugar free desserts, or use a full cup of sugar for a stevia-free version 🙂
For the frosting*:
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- * alternatively, you can omit the cream cheese and increase powdered sugar to 1/2 cup
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and vanilla until smooth. Add your egg and egg white, and beat until well combined. In another bowl mix all your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, stevia, sugar and salt) and stir until thoroughly mixed. Slowly add your dry ingredients to your other bowl and mix until dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30-45 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray. Lightly flour your surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick, and use cookie cutter to cut out your favorite shapes! Bake for 8-10 minutes and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients for the frosting and spread over the cookies once cool. Feel free to add in food coloring to decorate!
Nutrition Facts (without frosting)
Servings: 40 cookies
Calories (per cookie): 90
Fat: 5 g
Carbs: 9 g
Fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 1.5 g