The holiday’s are always a time where we might indulge a little bit more than usual, and we have some great tips for those of you who plan to have a couple of drinks this Halloween. If you’re going out this year, follow these guidelines so all your hard work in the gym doesn’t fly out the window faster than a baby bat on crack.
Alcohol is metabolized before fats and carbohydrates, so make sure to have an abundance of protein and fibrous veggies during the day you plan on having alcoholic beverages, but cut back on grains and fats which are easily converted in the body to adipose tissues (a fancy word for, well… fat). Proteins and veggies will keep you feeling full while reducing the likelihood that you will store your excess drink calories as adipose tissue, thereby sabotaging all your hard-earned progress.
If you happen to get the case of the “drunchies,” stick to high protein meals such as a burger – skip the bun and order it “protein style,” wrapped in lettuce. And don’t worry, we’ve all been there.
Use these easy guidelines when selecting your drink of choice:
- Avoid sugary mixes: Stick to “skinny” mixed drinks, or skip mixes altogether and use soda water or a diet soda
- Choose red wines over white or sparkling wine: Red wine is lower in sugar
- If drinking beer, opt for light varieties and sip it slow
- Set a limit on the number of drinks you’re going to have before you go out, and stick to it
- Alternate 1 alcoholic beverage with 1 glass of water throughout the night to stay hydrated
- Always drink responsibly and designate a driver or alternative method of transportation
Skinny Bloody Mary
Makes 1 serving
- 12 oz low sodium tomato juice
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3-4 ice cubes
- a dash of lime juice
- a couple of dashes of hot sauce to taste
Mix all ingredients and garnish with a celery stick!